Seven Dead as Wrong-Way Car Rams Police Cruiser in Pre-Dawn UK Horror
Two police officers and five teenagers were killed when a car being driven the wrong way down a dual carriageway smashed head-on into a marked patrol car near Middlesbrough — the deadliest incident yet in a spate of "wrong-side" crashes that has killed a dozen people across Britain and Ireland in barely a week.

Seven people, including two serving police officers, were killed in the early hours of Saturday when a car being driven the wrong way down a major road in northeast England smashed head-on into a marked police patrol car, in the deadliest single incident yet in a spate of "wrong-side" motorway crashes that has now killed a dozen people across Britain and Ireland in barely a week.
Cleveland Police said the collision happened at 3:39 a.m. on the A66 dual carriageway near South Bank, close to Middlesbrough, after officers spotted what they considered a suspicious vehicle and began to follow it. The Volkswagen Passat, carrying five young men, subsequently entered the A66 travelling in the wrong direction and struck an armed-response vehicle that was on the correct side of the road, Chief Constable Victoria Fuller said in a statement carried by the Irish Examiner. All seven occupants of both vehicles were pronounced dead at the scene.
The officers were named as Constable Matthew Blades, 37, and Constable Tom Clough, 38. The five occupants of the Passat, described by police as teenagers, have been formally identified but not publicly named. A North East Ambulance Service spokesperson said "despite the best efforts of everyone attending, a number of patients died at the scene."
The Independent Office for Police Conduct has opened a mandatory investigation into the pursuit, standard procedure whenever a death follows police contact with a vehicle. Investigators are examining doorbell and dashcam footage reportedly showing the car being driven at speed through a residential area moments before it entered the carriageway.
Part of a wider, deadlier trend
The Middlesbrough crash is the latest and worst in a run of similar incidents. Just six days earlier, on the M9 motorway in County Kildare, five teenagers died when a stolen BMW being driven the wrong way at around 3 a.m. collided head-on with a Hyundai carrying a family on their way to the airport. The teenagers, aged 15 to 18, were named locally as Kamil Pustkowski, Jack Kennedy, Jeremy O'Brien, Joe "Joey" Carthy and Alex McCarthy; three women and a young child in the other car were seriously injured. A week before that, a stolen car carrying eight teenagers was driven the wrong way onto Dublin's M50, injuring nine people.
Authorities on both sides of the Irish Sea say the incidents are connected to a social-media trend in which young drivers, often in stolen cars, film themselves driving against motorway traffic for views. Ireland's Garda Commissioner, Justin Kelly, has called the pattern "horrific," and lawmakers have summoned TikTok to explain how it moderates videos that appear to glorify the behavior. TikTok says it removes content that breaches its policies on dangerous acts.
"There can be no tolerance for this reckless behaviour that we have seen on our roads recently. It must stop." — Taoiseach Micheal Martin
British Prime Minister Andy Burnham said he was "devastated" by the Middlesbrough deaths and urged the public not to speculate about the circumstances while the IOPC inquiry is underway. Cleveland Police described Blades and Clough as brave officers who "didn't return home to their families," and tributes have been laid at the force's headquarters. Ireland's justice minister, Jim O'Callaghan, has signaled that new legislation targeting wrong-way motorway driving is under consideration.
No further public updates on the Passat occupants' identities or the pursuit's origin had been released as of Sunday morning. The IOPC investigation and a parallel Garda probe into the Kildare crash's social-media links remain open.